We can hardly contain ourselves over here at Vista Pointe! Now that it is March, our minds have turned to opening the windows and working hard to spruce up our living spaces. Whether you have just built a new home, moved into a new-to-you abode, or need to declutter from months of being stuck indoors, it’s time to clean house.
First, make a plan
It’s important to take a look at the calendar now and set aside a few days for action. Likely two days will be needed indoors and two days outdoors. Before you get started, hit the store and stock up on cleaning supplies, from paper towels and dust cloths to glass and surface sprays. Or, check out the ways you can create your own cleaning solutions at home.
One space at a time
If you start indoors, clean one room at a time. Decluttering and organizing is always a great first step. Make piles for recycle, toss, donate and keep. Once everything is put away, start at the top and work your way down.
· Dust light fixtures and fans
· Wipe down moldings, window sills, walls and doors
· Clean interior window glass and sills
· Dust tabletops, shelving and counters
· Deep clean appliances
· Wipe down baseboards
· Sweep floors with a broom or vacuum
· Vacuum upholstered furniture
· Mop wood or tile, and consider renting a steam cleaner for carpets
Go the extra mile
Are you truly committed to deep cleaning every square inch of your home? If so, here are some other go-getter jobs to add to your list:
· Organize closets, being sure to purge what doesn’t fit or what hasn’t been used
· Shampoo rugs and furniture
· Reseal grout lines
· Dust books and decor
· Polish door and window hardware
· Wax wooden furniture and/or floors
· Clean window treatments
Cleaning outdoor spaces
Once the ground starts to thaw, we’re eager to prep outdoor living spaces for spring-like days. Depending on your lot size and exterior design, you might need more time to dedicate to your yard, patio and garage. Be sure to watch the weather forecast and choose dryer and warmer days for outside efforts. Invite the entire family to pitch in and help with the following tasks:
· Clean window screens and exterior glass
· Sweep and/or power wash walks, patios and decks
· Wipe down and set up patio furniture
· Declutter and sweep garage and shed spaces
· Trim back plantings and shrubs, and consider turning or adding mulch
· Repair/replace exterior fixtures, lightbulbs, chipped paint and/or other exterior items or surfaces
Every season brings its own maintenance and chore checklist. With a little preparation and well-timed grit, your days of spring cleaning will produce bright, cheery spaces for enjoying more sunny days, both inside and out!
And if all that deep scrubbing left you dreaming of living in a new, custom space, then add a trip to check out Vista Pointe in South Lebanon, Ohio, to your to-do list. The established Vista Pointe community has multiple wooded, lush lots ready for immediate development. Build a new home this summer, and you could be dancing through your spring cleaning of a new home this same time next year!